CAMPSIDE // ALICIA PLUMMER // JULIE ASSELIN

Campside by Alicia Plummer

We have an amazing treat for you today! If you’re an avid Rav-o-phile (i.e. addicted to Ravelry), there’s no doubt you’ve come across Alicia Plummer. You know, classic, wearable, dare we say beach-y, just plain gorgeous designs. Well today we’re the luckiest knitters in the world, because she’s sharing her newest design, Campside, with US, right here, free, on the Pom Pom blog.

Campside by Alicia Plummer

Alicia is basically our newest knitting bestie and that was all down to a rather serendipitous meeting in the old Ravelry forums. You see, Alicia was looking to find some testers in her group for a gorgeous new pattern. Someone happened to mention that there was another shawl out there, called Campfire that looked kinda similar. You may remember Campfire from way back when – two autumns ago! – we released it. Alicia, being the ever-so-gracious lady she is, got in touch, not wanting to step on any toes.

IMG_5101_medium2

Well, you can imagine that our first thought was “Great minds think alike!” (as we consider Alicia a great mind, and like to flatter ourselves sometimes). The second thought was, Campside is quite different to Campfire, being of a top down construction and with more texture in the form of varying stitch patterns. As we got to talking, we were so happy to have found a kindred spirit, who is, like us,

A) into camping

B) into knitting

C) into making triangular-shaped knitted shawls with camp-themed names

and

D) into Julie Asselin.

Julie Asselin Leizu DK

And so enters the third party in the knitting love fest that was born out of a random obsession with knitting and camping. Julie Asselin is the unstoppably effervescent hand-dyer behind her eponymous line of yarn. We met Julie back in May and immediately fell in love with both her an her colours and have been waiting for the perfect moment to share that love with the world.

That moment has come friends! And we are so excited to share this special collaboration with you. You can download the pattern at the end of this post, but first – a story.

Campside by Alicia Plummer

Being lovers of stories and storytelling, and knowing that every design, every piece of knitwear, and yes, every stitch tells a story, we thought we’d share Alicia’s story behind her Campside shawl with you. We think you’ll agree, it’s so lovely, and perhaps a very fitting way to close out the summer.

You see, Alicia’s family owned a cabin where she spent her childhood with her father. “It smells rich and warm like earth in the summer. It’s just far enough from the shore that you can hear the water faintly lapping, but close enough that the sparkles of sunlight reflect off the water and dance on the walls in late afternoon. On colder nights, the woodstove crackles in the central living room, radiating heat,” she told us.

Campside by Alicia Plummer

Unsurprisingly, a place like that generated a lifetime of memories for Alicia. After her father passed away in 2007, she would go back to the cabin to feel close to him again. Over time though, the neighbourhoood began to develop and change. “While time stands still when you lose someone in your world, the world decides to keep going,” says Alicia. After a long period of thinking about it, she and her family decided to let the cabin go and find a place of their own.

It’s a small cabin on a little pond. “It’s quiet, peaceful, and ours,” she says. “This is where we will spend our summers with our children, continuing on the tradition. Camp is a magical, special place for a child.”

In a tribute to the memories, and “to help myself in letting go” Alicia decided to design pieces that would help her work through her feelings. The first of those designs, Briquette, was inspired by grilling, but Campside has more to do with her favourite memories of the cabin.

“Campside is the moment you arrive back home, drenched to the bone from pouring rain and booming thunder, knowing what’s waiting for you inside. Warm, dry clothing that soothes as only it can when you’ve been so wet. Rust & Olive plaid wool blankets that smell of rich, dry wood. The dancing flames of the woodstove, leaping and turning against the glass as the glow spreads warmth. The hushed whisper of the rain as it pelts the roof, rising to a chorus and echoing across the beams. This shawl is a picture of that moment. When you can see the storm, its raw power, be shaken by the booms, and be completely sheltered simultaneously.”

Alicia says she hopes that knitting this shawl “gives you a moment of your own Campside – that safe, dry place sheltered from the storm yet still exposed to it enough to see the beauty and wonder.”

We can’t help but think about the importance of thinking through your knitting – who it’s for, why you’re making it – when we read back Alicia’s story. Here’s to all the stories our stitches can tell!

Campside by Alicia Plummer

Thanks so much to Alicia and Julie for this very special collaboration, and for sharing it with Pom Pom!

Ready to get knitting? Go ahead and download the pattern.

N.B. This pattern PDF has now been updated (April 2016) with charts and written instructions, plus all the errata has been fixed, Hurrah!

72 Responses to CAMPSIDE // ALICIA PLUMMER // JULIE ASSELIN

1. sonia September 4, 2014 at 8:54 pm #

Beautiful!!

2. Isla of Axholme September 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm #

Will certainly be casting this on as my 2015 camping project! Off camping this weekend but I have way to many WIP to cast anything else at the mo!

3. Sylvie Gagne September 5, 2014 at 12:18 am #

C’est malade! I love, love, love this shawl. What a great use of Julie’s Leizu DK. Brava!

4. Melanie September 5, 2014 at 2:33 am #

Lovely shawl, I’d love to make it. However I would also like to know the FINISHED MEASUREMENTS of the shawl please. I downloaded the pattern and where the numbers should be for the measurements is blank. Thank you!

5. Jessica September 5, 2014 at 5:12 am #

This reminds me of the campfire shawl, I love both. So cute!!

6. Debra September 5, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

Very pretty

7. Vicki Reid September 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

I was wondering if this pattern could be sent to me in writing instead of charts ….. it is so beautiful and I would love to make for my daughter and my daughter in law and teenage grand-daughter …. ty so much

8. Jessica September 5, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Beautiful story. Thank you for the lovely free pattern. I find knitting so meditative. It helped me to focus and pray when I lost my grandfather – who was also a knitter.

9. Linda willer September 5, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

What a beautiful wrap with such an inspiring story. Thank you.

10. Susan September 5, 2014 at 11:05 pm #

Another fabulous Alicia pattern. I lost my mom three weeks ago, and will knit this in her honor. Thank you!

11. Elaine September 7, 2014 at 5:07 am #

What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it with us also for sharing the pattern. I am looking forward to knitting this.

12. Wali September 7, 2014 at 11:25 am #

So beautiful ! Thank you for sharing !

13. Marsha September 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm #

Thanks so much for the pattern and the lovely story!

14. Novia September 7, 2014 at 4:16 pm #

Thank you for the shawl pattern but even more for the story. Knitting is meditative and can be healing. Beautiful yarn helps to further express the sentiments that go into the design and execution. Again, a sincere thanks.

15. Susan September 7, 2014 at 11:38 pm #

Looks lovely. It’s my next project!

16. Claire September 8, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

i really like this shawl and would love the pattern Thanks

17. Claire September 8, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

pretty shawl.

18. Cynthia September 8, 2014 at 11:09 pm #

What a sweet memory – beautifully expressed. And the shawl is perfect. Thank you.

19. click here to investigate September 9, 2014 at 10:48 am #

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice,
    keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back
    down the road. All the best

20. Julie September 18, 2014 at 3:22 am #

What a treat! Thanks for sharing :-)

21. aichaku January 3, 2015 at 9:14 am #

Hi can I just keep working eyelet charts 7 & 8 until I get the pattern as big as I want? What number of stitches should I have if I want to retain the ribbing pattern, so that the shawl remains aesthetically similar to the original? Thanks in advance! (Cross-posted at Ravelry).

22. Dori May 10, 2015 at 4:05 am #

Had problems with chart is there an updated version? I noticed I was not the only one?

• Deb July 1, 2015 at 1:10 am #

I tried this 3 times and could never get past row 11 of the Eyelet 1 chart – count was always off. Did you ever get help? I could not reach anyone. Think it’s a beautiful shawl but frustrated on how to fix.

23. Rowena Philbeck May 22, 2015 at 4:32 pm #

I heard that their was one error in this pattern but I can’t find the correction. Can you let me know what it is?

Thanks,

Rowena

24. Shelli June 6, 2015 at 12:02 am #

I’ve read lots of people on Ravelry say there are errors in the pattern. I just downloaded the pattern. Has the version available version been corrected?

25. caitlin August 25, 2015 at 9:43 pm #

Hello! Hope all is well. I typically work with written patterns vs charts, but I figured I would give this a whirl. I’m just now moving into the eyelet charts 1 and 2. I understand to repeat what is in the red box, and I’m assuming that the make one right and left are the first stitch before and after the markers as in the first section. I’m wondering what stitch to use between left and right side? Is it knit one back as I used previously on the right side, and if so, what do I use for wrong side?

Thanks in advance!
    Caitlin

26. Catherine September 6, 2015 at 6:46 am #

Thank’s a lot for this patern : it’s so beautiful…

27. Zoe September 7, 2015 at 9:43 pm #

this is a beautiful shawl and I started making it last night but am completely lost in what do once I start the eyelet charts. I have the total of 53 stitches and eyelet charts says to sart on stich 7-17. What do I do with first 7 and the last 7 after stitch 17? Is there written instructions?

28. Zoe September 8, 2015 at 3:38 pm #

Hi, is there written instruction that go along with the charts? I started this pattern yesterday but am so lost on how to start chart one and two, I have 24 st for each panel but what do you do with the first and last 7 st that are markerd grey on the chart?

• Amands January 14, 2016 at 9:44 pm #

Hi, I love this pattern, and can’t wait to finish it!
      Unfortunately I’m stuck on charts 1+2 and the repeat. Please help :)

29. Vanessa September 22, 2015 at 7:14 pm #

I am confused about how to start the graphs 1 and 2?

• Amands January 14, 2016 at 9:46 pm #

Hi, I love this pattern, and can’t wait to finish it!
      Unfortunately I’m stuck on charts 1+2 and the repeat. Please help :)

30. Theresa October 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm #

Good morning,
    I would love to make this and have the perfect yarn picked out, but I struggle with charts. Do you have written instructions?

• pompommag October 6, 2015 at 9:59 pm #

Hi Theresa! We working on publishing some written instructions soon! Keep checking back :)

• Elizabeth McInerney March 6, 2016 at 8:25 am #

Where would I find the written instructions? I’m stuck on eyelet chart 1/2 and I’m stuck! The repeats are over yet there’s not enough space to do this row twice. I’m confused.

31. leslie tiras October 8, 2015 at 2:17 am #

trying t download pattern and can’t thank you

32. Susan October 31, 2015 at 3:34 am #

A refreshing and simple elegance. Love the modern interpretation.
    Will be making this soon!

33. Nancy November 7, 2015 at 11:54 pm #

I second Zoe and Vanessa’s question. What happens with the “no stitch”area? Please reply with a hint for us.

34. Linda G November 22, 2015 at 11:22 pm #

Back in Oct. you mentioned publishing some written instructions for this pattern. I was just checking to see where you might be at with them.

Linda

35. Hélène La Fargussienne November 30, 2015 at 10:25 am #

I love it and I’m going to knit it right away ! THAN YOU !!!!!

36. olfi December 2, 2015 at 8:21 pm #

Are you this pattern in French ?
    Thanks for more informations

37. mamieflash December 9, 2015 at 9:04 am #

Bonjour,

Je viens de découvrir votre magnifique châle
    j’aurai aimé le faire
    serait il possible de recevoir les explications SVP

je vous en remercie à l’avance

Mamieflash

38. Cathy December 10, 2015 at 2:49 pm #

Hi,

I have no idea why I can’t seem to download the pattern. I love this shawl; nice and big. I hate to bother you, but it says it’s in my library, but it doesn’t open. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

39. marina medina December 11, 2015 at 12:04 pm #

Me encanta

40. Lucie December 13, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

Très joli ! Merci beaucoup

41. sharon December 22, 2015 at 4:50 am #

having problems with the lace part getting started. can someone help me please. first row. stitch 8 m1r do I make one right and then knit the 8th? then knit 8 m1r then knit the 17th stich then knit 7? I guess the question boils down to do I make the stich and then knit the stitch with the m1 or knit a d then make one

42. shamim December 30, 2015 at 10:30 pm #

Hi, its really nice pattern, thank you for sharing. Who ever wrote this piece of background story to the pattern should be writing novels, I really enjoyed this blog/article.

43. clare2 January 14, 2016 at 5:10 am #

I have been unable to download the pattern, but it looks beautiful

44. Kathy January 16, 2016 at 10:46 pm #

I would love this pattern but can’t find any place to download the pattern. Everything just keeps taking me in circles around the blog…have my yarn all ready to go…any help would be wonderful!

• pompommag January 19, 2016 at 9:48 pm #

Hi Kathy,
      You can download the pattern via the link at the bottom of the post – literally click on the last word “pattern”. We hope that helps!

• Michelle February 6, 2016 at 4:47 pm #

I clicked on the word pattern and it no longer takes me anywhere :(

45. Linda February 10, 2016 at 9:58 pm #

I find no way to download this pattern. Is it no longer available? If it is, please tell me how to do it. Absolutely nothing obvious shows up on my screen.

46. Susan Brodish February 27, 2016 at 4:01 am #

Looks lovely….can’t wait to see the pattern

47. Michelle March 3, 2016 at 8:56 pm #

Love this pattern !

48. Elizabeth McInerney March 6, 2016 at 10:53 pm #

Has anyone made this pattern successfully? I’m stuck on one part of the eyelet pattern parts 1/2. Help!

49. Mirelha March 11, 2016 at 12:54 pm #

The pattern in french is possible ??? Thank you.

50. Danie March 31, 2016 at 9:11 pm #

Love this shawl – thanks! I have a question with Eyelet chart 1 – when you get to row 8 (where the repeat) stops – you have more stitches than the chart has indicated, but there is not repeat, do you increase, knit all the way across to the end and increase, or repeat the row until no more stitches? Thanks for any advice/help!!

51. bee April 8, 2016 at 8:02 am #

how do i download this pattern????

52. Penny Fisher April 11, 2016 at 7:43 pm #

The women at my knit shop would love to do the campsite shawl but they need the pattern written out not just charted,would that be a possibility?

53. Michele Mead April 22, 2016 at 5:36 pm #

I have been attempting to download this pattern without success. Can
    you help me? Can you send a copy to my e mail? Please and Thank you.

• Victoria Botha October 18, 2016 at 10:34 am #

Please send the link or information to download this pattern.

• Pom Pom Mag October 18, 2016 at 11:10 am #

Hi Victoria,

The pattern is available to download at the end of this blog post – where it says ‘Ready to get knitting? Go ahead and download the pattern’ – you’ll be able to click on ‘pattern’ and access the PDF.
        Let us know if you have any problems and Happy Knitting!

Pom Pom x

54. Zaida April 26, 2016 at 11:53 pm #

Wow beautiful. Wanna make it too

55. Jolene July 28, 2016 at 12:00 am #

Hi!

This is a beautiful pattern. It is turning out nicely, but I am confused with Chart D Row 5. It says in (k2, SM, M1R, [K1, YO, K2TOG] to 1st before marker, k1, M1R, SM, K1TBL, SM, M1L, [K1, SSK, YO] to 1st before marker, K1, M1L, SM k2) …the brackets are different patterns, and there is a k1 before the end stitches and not replicated in the beginning stitches. I keep getting a different count on the left side than the right. The right counts up properly. I am just feeling frustrated at this!!

Pleas Help!!

Thanks

• Sophie Scott July 28, 2016 at 2:56 pm #

Hi Jolene,
      Sorry to hear that you’re having problems with the pattern. We updated the PDF in April so it might be worth checking you have the most up to date version of the pattern – as when I check the pattern for Row 5 in Chart D it reads –

Row 5: K2, SM, M1R, [k1, yo, k2tog] to 1 st before marker, k1, M1R, SM, k1 tbl, SM, M1L, [k1, ssk, yo] to 1 st before marker, k1, M1L, SM, k2.

Does that help? Get in touch if you have any queries!
      Pom Pom x

• Jolene July 29, 2016 at 2:54 am #

That’s the same…it’s actually the brackets that are different. In previous rows the brackets are the same, just reversed. It is in row 5 that it’s not the same reversed. I’m wondering if it should read …SM, M1L, K1, (SSK, YO, K1)…?

• Sophie Scott August 1, 2016 at 5:54 pm #

Hi, I’ve double checked with our technical editors and they’ve confirmed that the chart and written instructions are correct. Make sure that you’re not missing any yarn overs and double check your previous rows! X

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Knitalong | A Little Secret | Firefly Fibers - September 10, 2014

[…] announcement as soon as the Leizu DK arrives at the shop, in the meantime… pop on over to the Pom Pom Quarterly blog to get the pattern and read the story behind this wonderful collaboration between Alicia Plummer […]

2. Accessories & Name the Yarn Update | Red Barn Yarn - October 3, 2014

[…] with hand-painted yarns such as Red Barn Yarn® Worsted. The Campside shawl, a free pattern from Pompom Quarterly calls for a DK weight yarn, we would guide you to Red Barn Yarn® Powder River, our Raw Wool & […]

3. Fall Knitalong | Campside in Leizu DK | Firefly Fibers - October 4, 2014

[…] Pattern: Campside by Alicia Plummer available on pompommag.com […]

4. On the Needles | Lofty Goals - Alisa The Yarnista - October 4, 2014

[…] (I love every single one that I’ve knit with and she’s a pleasure to work with) and the Campside pattern has such a lovely rhythm to it (Alicia, the designer, was just as wonderful and kind when I […]

5. Tales from the Couch | Lori Allen Writes - November 18, 2014

[…] have been trying to knit this shawl for weeks and I have only managed to look at it for the past couple of days.  I’m not a […]